Wednesday, February 25, 2015

The Iron King

by Julie Kagawa

Check it out on Goodreads!

Type: Book One of The Iron Fey

POV: First person; Meghan

Rating: 4/5 stars


Cover ~ B

I am usually not a huge fan of using models on book covers. I like to create the face in my imagination without the help of the publishers, thank you very much. I know it is never right to judge a book by its cover, but come on, we all do it! The cover a book is what first draws your attention. My rant aside, I actually liked this cover! The girl is how I pictured Meghan (now if this is the cover's influence, we will never know), but I also loved the effect of the swirls around her. It is the perfect representation of the fey forest in the book!

Plot ~ A

Meghan Chase has always felt like something was missing from her life, and not just because her father disappeared before her eyes when she was six years old. Now, ten years later, her mother has moved on and started a new family. Meghan doesn't feel complete. She was never popular and only has her best friend, Robbie. But even though she has known Robbie for ten years does she really know him at all?

On her sixteenth birthday, Meghan starts to see things that should not be possible and Robbie seems to be even more protective than usual and less of his trickster self. When her 4 year old brother complains about a man in his closet or under his bed, could he be telling the truth? Her eyes have opened to a completely new world: The Nevernever, a faery world in which she is a half-faery Summer Princess. She must venture to this new world in order to save her brother, who has been taken by a fey. But being the the daughter of the most powerful faery king is dangerous and the exact reason why the world has been hidden from her. She is now a pawn in a deadly war against the Unseelie Winter Queen Mab.

But when Meghan comes across a strange type of faery magic that could destroy the whole Nevernever, she must make a deal with the enemy, the dark and mysterious Prince Ash of the Unseelie Winter Court. But a deal with a faery may come back to bite her, because a faery contract is unbreakable.


Characters ~ B

Meghan Chase is a 16 year old farm girl. She will do anything to save her brother. In the beginning, she is very naive when it come to the faery world. She carelessly throws around promises and deals which can be dangerous in the faery world. Her character matures throughout the series, but not so much in this book.

Puck (aka Robbie) is the infamous Robin Goodfellow from folklore. He is known for his trickery.

Ash is the youngest Prince of Winter/the Unseelie Court. He is arguably Queen Mab's favorite son. He has a history with Puck, both good and bad.

Grimalkin is a fey cat. He is has many fey who owe him favors. You never know if he is there to help Meghan because he likes her or to benefit himself.

*In my opinion, the characters get so much better. This is why I gave this section a B, because the character become more interesting in the next book.

Writing ~ A

I have been searching high and low for a good Fae book (granted it is Fey not Fae in this series, but no difference). I needed to fill the void left by Heir of Fire (Throne of Glass, book 3) and quench my thirst for Sarah J Maas' newest dark Fae series A Court of Thorns and Roses. Now I just need to tear myself away from this series to do my homework. Ahhh, the struggles of a college book nerd.... I loved this book because it took the idea of the Fey world, and mixed it with modern topics (which is probably why it is so appealing to readers). The world building in this book is awesome! I love that it is not just about fey creatures, but there are gremlins, goblins, ogres, phoukas, a chimera, and basically any other creature from folklore! The story had consistent action, and had me engaged for the entire journey.  If you read this and give it at least 3/5 stars, continue with the series! I loved the second book even more than the first, and the the third (which I am in the process of reading 2/14/2015) is looking even better!

Overall Rating ~ 4 stars

Just a side note: the grades I give my categories do not necessarily effect the overall rating. If I hate the cover, but love the book, I will still give a 5 star rating if it is deserved. Although, I typically save 5 star ratings for particularly outstanding books.

For the First Kiss from the male character's POV click here!

My tags: fae, darkling, love-triangle, mythology, urban fantasy, YA, first-in-series, romance, adventure, destiny


No comments:

Post a Comment