Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Graceling (Graceling Realm, #1)

by Kristin Cashore

Cover #1
Cover #2

Cover ~ C

I feel the covers do not do the book justice and fails to capture the essence of the book! It makes it look childish, even though it is YA. 

 

Plot ~ C

In the Seven Kingdoms, people born with an extreme skill, or Grace, are feared and exploited. Cats despised hers; killing. Her uncle Randa is King of the Middluns and commands her to punish and torture his enemies.

When she meets Prince Po, who has combat Grace, they become friends and she learns disturbing truths about the Realm and its rulers. It turns out her uncle is not the most ruthless ruler in the Seven Kingdoms.

Characters ~ D

Katsa reminded me of a lesser version of Aelin from Throne of Glass! It is never good when a main character can be compared to a similar book. The characters need to be unique in some way to make them different than the competing titles.

Po was cute. I couldn't stop thinking of the word "pansy" because thats how he was portrayed in my mind. The author could have done a better job at making Po more masculine, at times he was over shadowed by Katsa. I just think he could have been more likable. But what bothered me the most was the instalove! Blah I hate it most times. 

Writing ~ C

I had a difficult time getting into the book, and wasn't engaged in the book until about half way through. I liked that we met new characters throughout the entire book. My problem was that the story was changing so much, that so many things were left unresolved, which pissed me off. Maybe the next books would answer these questions, but it is doubtful. The 2nd book has completely different characters and is in a different kingdom, and I am pretty sure it takes place before Graceling.

I am unsure if I will continue the series. I am afraid if I read Bitterblue (book 3), I will not like the way Katsa and Po's relationship will turn out. It was pretty rocky at the end, which I hated because it was such a large part of the story!

Overall Rating ~ 2 stars! Not my cup of tea



My tags: adventure, fantasy, magic, YA, romance, assassins

No comments:

Post a Comment