Sunday, August 30, 2015

Everything, Everything

Everything, Everything Everything, Everything by Nicola Yoon
My rating: 4.5 of 5 stars

ARC received in via NetGalley in exchange for honest review

4.5 stars

This is the probably the best contemporary I've read all year!

All her life Maddy has been content with staying Inside. She is allergic to the world, meaning she has not been Outside is a very very long time. She cannot remember the smell of fresh air, the wind blowing in her face, or even the feeling of driving in a car. Everything we do daily, she hasn't in her last 17 or so years of life. But she is content in her life; her white room, white walls, white tees, and white Keds, with her book spines providing the only source of color in her room (reminded me a bit of a hospital, if you ask me). Her only companions include her mother who is also a doctor, and her nurse/only friend Carla.

Her books are the main source of companionship outside of the Carla and her mom. Here is a brief excerpt of Maddy describing her process when she receives a new book:
When a new book arrives, my first task is to remove the wrapping, a process that involves scissors and more than one broken nail. My second task is to write my name on the inside front cover:

PROPERTY OF: Madeline Whittier

I don't know why I do this. There's no one else here except my mother, who never reads, and my nurse, Carla, who has no time to read because she spends so much time watching me breathe. I rarely have visitors, and so there's no one to lend my books to. There's no one who needs reminding that the forgotten book on his or her shelf belongs to me.

REWARD IF FOUND (Check all that apply):

This is the section that takes me the longest time, and I vary it with each book. Sometimes the rewards are fanciful:
~Picnic with me (Madeline) in a pollen-filled field of poppies, lilies, and endless man-in-a-moon marigolds under a clear blue summer sky.
~Tea with me (Madeline) in a lighthouse in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean in the middle of a hurricane.
~Snorkel with me (Madeline) off Molokini to spot the Hawaiian state fish- the Humuhumunukunukuapua'a.


Sometimes the rewards are not so fanciful.
~A visit with me (Madeline) to a used bookstore.
~A walk outside with me (Madeline) just down the block and back.
~A short conversation with me (Madeline) discussing anything you want, on my white couch, in my white bedroom.


Sometimes the reward is just:
~Me (Madeline)


One day everything in Maddy's world changes. She has new neighbors. And a perfect view right from her window seat. And she see him. His mother calls him Olly. He wears a black t-shirt, black jeans, and a black knit hat. He catches her looking and stares right back. Everything changes from here on out, Everything. Just when Maddy thought she was content in being alone and void of illness at the moment; she realizes being alive doesn't necessarily mean you are living.
Spoiler Alert: Beware the Queen of Hearts. She'll have your head.


Things I loved:
1. Maddy & her inner monologue
Her POV is compelling due to how she tells parts of the story through health logs, diary entries, schedules, emails, diagrams, etc. It was different, and I loved it.

2. The Romance
It was simple and not overbearing. Olly is going through a tough time and they connect in a real way. It does't feel like insta-love because the connection is so strong and realistic. Also, it was pushed. The story mainly focuses on Maddy and how Olly changes she

3. The Chapter Titles
It may sound stupid, but its true. The titles provided an added humor to the book and really showed Maddy's personality. I just loved that added creativity.

4. The Writing
This author is going on my to-watch list. Seriously, there were SO many beautiful quotes and her story telling ability is amazing!

Overall I'd definitely recommend this book to anyone looking for a good contemporary.

This book is going to be on the top of many readers lists this year!

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment