Sunday, April 19, 2015

Slumber

by Samantha Young

Check it out on Goodreads!
 As of 4/13/15 this title is available on kindle for just $1.14!


Cover ~ A

*singsong voice* Mysterious!

Plot ~ A

*Retelling of Sleeping Beauty!*

Scarred by a tragic childhood, Rogan, now 19, has grown up in the castle.  Her best friend and future Queen, Haydyn, saved her from her past.  Now Haydyn is dying of the Sleeping Curse and the whole realm is falling apart now that Haydyn's magic is dying along with her.  Rogan sets off on a journey to retrieve the very rare plant that will cure Haydyn and save the realm from falling into turmoil.  But Rogan is stuck traveling with the Captain of the Guard, and Rogan's enemy and a person she distrusts above all others, Wolf Stovia.  At a constant battle of wills, Rogan knows this journey will be a difficult one, not to mention the whole realm is breaking out in violence.  When the quest doesn't go quite as expected, she finds herself being forced to trust the one man she could have sworn was her number one enemy.

Characters ~ B

Rogan. "Daaaam girl, I'm loving' your sass!" is basically what I was thinking the entire book.  I loved me some fierce and sassy MC and Rogan totally fulfilled!  Sure she does some idiotic things that almost get her killed and a few other nasty things, of course that drove me crazy.  She is very independent and untrusting towards other people. 

Wolfe Stovia is the Captain of the Guard. He is young and has climbed his way up the career ladder quickly.  Also the son of the man that destroyed Rogan's family.  Gained total respect for this guy by the end of the book.  Loved him!

I loved the characters we met along the way, especially L!

Haydyn, the Princess, was the worst character in the whole book.  She was a pain in my ass.  In my opinion, she was annoying, immature, and had no confidence or governing skills to be the future Queen.  Plus, it really bugged me about the magic keeping the people in order because that just seemed like brainwash.  Hayden refused to listen to Rogan and it just pissed me off.  If there is a second book (which I doubt), it will be interesting to see what happens.

Writing ~ A

I loved the writing in this book!  I tend to look for new adult books that have a young adult fantasy feel because it seems all the good fantasy books are geared towards YA (Game of Thrones you are the exception).  So this one was good for me because it had romance that didn't stop once it got to the mature parts but also didn't do into details like in erotica.  Some people consider this YA, but I would say more NA because of certain topics in the book and descriptions that may be scary for younger readers.  The Mountain Man sure did scare the living shit out of me (and made me wanna vomit)!  I will definitely look into other works by this author!

Overall Rating ~ 4 stars!

Totally worth the $1.14 I spent on amazon and would have bought it for more!

My tags: cover-lust, best-world-building, retellings, new-adult, stand-alone, fantasy, magic, book-boyfriends, world-map



No comments:

Post a Comment